Insurance for van rentals

If you’re at fault in an accident, liability insurance covers damage to the property and injuries of others involved in the accident.Your injuries should be covered under your health insurance plan, but it’s best to call and make sure. However, any damage to the rental van will NOT be covered.  So you will have to pay for any damage to the rental van out of your own pocket.

Rental van companies usually cover the state minimum required liability insurance, but this is unlikely to provide significant protection.  Also, if your employer is sending you on a business trip, they should usually provide you with insurance.

Insurance & Protection Policies for your Van Hire

For your protection and peace of mind, Sixt includes a variety of insurance policies for your van rental in Dublin so you can select the ideal package for your comfort and experience.

  1. Is insurance included with my van rental booking?

When you rent a van from Sixt, Third Party Liability cover for bodily injury and property damage will always be provided, in accordance with the legal requirements. Sixt also includes loss damage waiver (LDW) in all of its UK rates.

  1. What is LDW (Loss Damage Waiver)?

Loss and damage waiver is a cover.  It relieves any or part of the customer’s responsibility for loss of or damage to the rental van, provided the van is used in accordance with the terms of the rental agreement. LDW is often offered with a standard excess amount, with an option to reduce that amount with additional cover (Top Cover LDW or Super Top Cover LDW).

  1. Can I reduce OR remove my excess amount?

Sixt offers protection packages which allow renters to further reduce the excess, by either a proportion or the full amount (Top Cover or Super Top Cover).

  1. Does the insurance cover Glass and Windscreen?

Glass and Windscreen is not covered by the inclusive Loss Damage waiver, we offer separate cover for Glass and Windscreen, however should Super Top Cover LDW be selected this would cover all damages to a £0 excess.

  1. Is cover available for any injury to the Driver and/or their passenger(s)?

The inclusive Third Party Insurance would provide cover for any injury occurred to any passenger(s) of their rented van (but the Driver would not be covered).

  1. What if I am under 25 years of age, do I have to pay extra insurance?

Drivers under the age of 25 are required to pay a Young Driver Surcharge, which currently stands at £36.00 (includes VAT) per day.

  1. What about second or additional drivers, are they covered on the insurance?

All (potential) second or additional drivers need to be added on the rental agreement (RA), so they can benefit from Sixt insurance and protections.  A charge for second/additional drivers will apply.

  1. What happens if the van is damaged during my rental period?

If there is new damage that has occurred on the van, this will be noted when the van is returned and you will be charged the applicable cost of repair.

  1. When will I be charged the cost of repair for damaged to a van?

Our Damage department will contact you as soon as they can to advise you of the details.

  1. Can I use my own insurance for a hire van?

No, it is not permitted to use personal insurance for a hire van unless the hire is on a business account.

What is included in our Protection Programme?

 Third Party Protection Programme

This provides cover for claims made against you for the death or injury of the other party in an accident. Third Party injury liability is unlimited.

It also provides cover for damage to their property, (liability limited to £5,000,000). However, the hirer, as the main driver, will be responsible for any costs in excess of this in respect of third party damage.

 Damage Protection Programme

Damage Protection covers the cost of any repairs to damage on the van caused be yourself (without purposes) or a third party.

Theft Protection

Theft Protection covers the cost of replacing the van or its parts, should it be stolen. All drivers are liable for a damage deposit.

 Damage Deposits

With our Protection Programme, we will provide cover for loss or damage to the van but there are damage deposit amounts, which you are personally responsible for. The damage deposit amount you have to pay is shown on the front of the Rental Agreement.

 Loss Damage Waiver

Loss Damage Waiver removes the driver’s responsibility to a part of the van in case of damage or theft. LDW is mandatory in Great Britain unless the customer is from the US or Canada and has insurance cover through their own credit vand.

Under the Damage Protection Programme you are only responsible for the damage and our reasonable administration fees, which arise when we deal with these matters. However, you still have to pay an amount up to the damage excess amount every time you damage the van or any replacement van and if any replacement van is lost or stolen. If the accident is third party’s fault, we will try and recover the cost of the repair to our van from the other party. If we are successful, we will be able to refund all or part of your damage deposit at that time.

 Damage Excess Amounts

With Loss Damage Waiver, customer is only responsible for the following amounts in case of loss or damage to the van:

* £1,000.- for van groups M**,E*,C*,I*,S**

* £1,500.- for van groups F**, L*, P*, X**

Northern Ireland:

* £750.- for van groups M**, E*, C*, I**

* £950.- for all other van groups

AA Van Insurance

Benefits of AA Van Insurance

Choose the Right Cover

Choose your cover to suit your needs: Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire & Theft, or Third Party only.

Personal Accident Cover

We cover you for personal cover up to €75,000 for specified injuries in the event of a claim.

Step back Bonus Protection

With AA Van Insurance if you have a claim, you won’t lose your whole No Claims Bonus.

Third Party Trailer Cover

With AA Van Insurance, you’re covered to tow a trailer as standard on all our policies.

Legal Expenses Cover

Put your mind at ease with AA Van Insurance, which covers legal expenses up to €50,000.

What can AA Van Insurance cover?

AA Van Insurance can cover:

Tradespeople such as plumbers, electricians, farmers and welders.

Commercial vans up to 3.5 tonnes.

Vans, Commercial Jeeps, Flatbeds, Double Cabs & Pick-ups.

Commercial vans, with an up-to-date DOE.

AA Van Insurance can’t cover:

Couriers, motor traders or delivery drivers

Tippers or cherry-pickers.

Modified vans.

News Reporter