What to Know About Scooter Insurance

Throughout the state of California, people rely on scooters and mopeds for transportation. Rising gas prices and a push toward environmental consciousness has made these small motorized bikes more popular than ever before. They are fuel efficient and easy to maneuver on crowded city streets, making them the ideal transportation choice for urban dwellers. If you are a scooter or moped owner, you know how important your machine is to you; it makes sense to protect your machine with an insurance policy that fits your specific needs.

Mopeds and Scooters: The California Law Basics

To get started on an insurance policy that protects you and your scooter, it can be useful to understand some of the basic California state laws that govern these motorized machines.

In California, there is a difference between scooters, mopeds, and motorized bikes. Scooters and motorized bikes are not required to be registered with the state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), and can be operated on roads without a motorcycle-specific driver’s license. You still need a driver’s license to operate them legally, however. Mopeds are classified differently, and a driver must have an M1 or M2 motorcycle license and register the vehicle with the DMV to operate legally.

Scooters are defined by the state as having:


        Two wheels

        A motor (gas or electric) that provides power

        A floorboard that can be stood on while riding

Mopeds have different definitions under state laws, and must have:

        Two or three wheels

        An electric or gas motor and an automatic transmission

        A speed governor that limits speeds to 30 miles per hour or less on level road surfaces

Electric bicycles fall under several classes; in general, the way the electric motor provides power to the bicycle and its top speed determine which class your vehicle falls into. Electric bicycle owners do not need a driver’s license or DMV registration to operate on the state’s roads.

Insurance for Mopeds and Scooters

Moped and scooter insurance is very similar to motorcycle insurance in terms of coverages available and minimum state requirements. All County can insure any type of moped or scooter, including engine sizes ranging from 50cc scooters all the way up to 500cc or larger mopeds. Almost every insurance policy provides two basic coverages:

        Bodily injury of the rider and anyone involved in a crash with the rider’s machine

        Property damage liability for any damage caused as the result of a crash or incident

Additional coverages are available, including medical payments coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, collision coverage, and comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive moped/scooter insurance protects against fire, vandalism, and theft, and pays for the expenses associated with repair or replacement of the vehicle.

In California, motorized scooters are not required to have insurance coverage, but this is still a good option to protect your investment. Moped operators need the same basic insurance coverages as motorcycle owners. These liability insurance requirements include:

        At least $15,000 in coverage per person for bodily injury.

        At least $30,000 in coverage per accident for bodily injury.

        A minimum of $5000 in coverage per accident for property damage.

All County Insurance can help you find the right policy to fit your needs and your budget. With our help, you can protect your vehicle and yourself, giving you the peace of mind needed to enjoy the open roads aboard your scooter or moped.

News Reporter